Green Split Peas Ham Soup
This creamy old fashioned style Green Split Peas Ham Soup is always enjoyed during the cold weather.
Author: Healthy Nutritious
- 2 cups green split peas dry
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups cubed left over ham
- 8 cups of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse peas in cold water
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat, add garlic and onions and cook until onions are translucent
- Add ham and peas and cook for 5 min stir well
- Add water, salt and pepper and bring to boil then reduce to simmer
- Simmer for about 1½ hours making sure to stir occasionally
Make sure to add water as needed.